Pages


Sunday, June 23, 2013

Can Scraps Ever Be Used Up?

I've really enjoyed participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2013 at So Scrappy .  Each month, I have pulled scraps to make postage stamp blocks, but still have odd 2.5 inch scraps leftover.  Instead of putting them back into the scrap bucket, I decided to sew the strips and charms into 9 patch blocks to make the Gumdrops quilt by Sherri McConnell that was featured in Better Homes and Gardens, Sew Scrappy magazine in October, 2011.  Sherri blogs at A Quilting Life and has lots of lovely things to look at and features some great tutorials.

The blocks are addictive.  Every time I sit down at my machine, I find myself making more.  The quilt requires 48 nine patches.  I have already made 94 and can't bring myself to stop. The blocks are sashed with white and the resulting quilt looks bright and crisp.  

.I also made one yellow block for my June Rainbow Challenge postage stamp collection.

And discovered enough orange scrapes to make one orange postage stamp block.
I added a few more scrappy centered Sawtooth stars.
Sorry for the distracting shadow.
I haven't been able to quilt any of the tops I was hoping to get done.  They are too big to baste on my kitchen table and I am unable to kneel due to an injury to my right knee.  Hopefully, the physical therapy will resolve the problem.  I am linking my rainbow blocks to this week's block party at Sew Scrappy.  Drop by and see all of the other blocks people have completed this week.

9 comments:

  1. OK you just made my day! All that scrappy goodness just warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, those are gorgeous!! And no, I don't think scraps can ever be used up. Our habit of jumbling them all together in a bucket or tub allows them to breed freely! I wonder if we could avoid the problem if we put each individual one in a separate zip loc bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are lovely! I'm a big fan of scrappy blocks, especially when the scraps are grouped by color. I've been making one color wonky log cabin blocks from my scraps and I also can't seem to stop! Still plenty of scraps hanging around though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been working diligently for years to use up all my scraps and you can see where it has gotten me!

    I will gladly quilt your tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful blocks! I love how your colors pull the eyes across your tops to see what is next! I need to sort my scraps to try your ideas. I hope your knee heals soon, so you can do what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blocks Katie! So bright and fun! Love those star blocks, too! I sure hope that your knee heals up quickly! Hugs to you :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if they can ever all get used up, but it sure looks like you put a dent in yours. Love especially what you did with the center of the sawtooth stars, so fun to see lots of variations on a classic block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, a lovable blogger gave me a few suggestions for a larger space that's off the floor: your local library may have a large table they will let you use for the hour or so I suspect it will take you; Chambers of Commerce often have a lagre meeting table; hospitals have classrooms with big flat spaces; if you have or know one, a church is often delighted to be able to help; a homeowners association has tables too and may be amenable to sharing.

    Kneeling is more problematic as time passes; I will have to look into these resources very soon for myself. Good luck and please let me know which one worked best for you and I'll keep you in the loop if I find any other resources for us.

    ReplyDelete

I am interested in what you have to say so please leave a comment.